Call for Applications
Location: Valletta, Malta
Start date: 1 may 2017
Duration: 3 months
Eligibles Nationalities: EENI SPC Nationals Nationals (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, and Tunisia); EU Member States (+ Norway, Switzerland and Turkey)
Issue Date: 16 mars 2017
Deadline for application: April 14th 2017
The EUROMED Migration IV (EMM4), a programme funded by the European Union (EU), aims to implement a comprehensive and shared approach to strengthening effective dialogue and cooperation on migration, mobility and international protection and asylum between EU Member States (EU MS) and European Neighbourhood Instrument South Partner Countries (ENI SPC: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia and Syria-on hold). To this end, the programme provides a constructive and operational dialogue and co-operation framework, with particular focus on reinforcing regional and national instruments and capacities to develop and implement evidence-based and coherent migration policies and actions.
In this context, EMM4 is launching the first ever i-Map Migration Governance Traineeship for students and young professionals from EU and ENI SPC Member States. As part of an important regional migration dialogue, students passionate about the world of migration will have the opportunity to complement their migration knowledge with this 3-month Traineeship which will facilitate direct engagement with a diverse set of primary migration actors such as politicians, international organisations, civil society organisations, journalists, and local authorities.
This approach will help the selected Trainees to strengthen their understanding of various migration topics: irregular migration, legal migration, migration and development, and international protection and asylum, as well as of the roles and responsibilities of different actors involved in migration and how they interact and jointly contribute to migration governance.
Reporting and Responsibilites
As an integrated part of the EMM4 team, assignments and associated tasks to support the overall implementation of the EMM4 programme will be part of the responsibilities of each Trainee.
Amongst others, responsibilites will consist of:
- Collecting data and information and conducting research on specific migration issues in Europe and Africa, with specific focus on the Mediterranean and the Middle East;
- Developing country/routes/hub profiles on migration;
- Producing user-friendly migration data visualisations and infographics;
- Uploading information to the i.Map portal, the i.Map News Centre and other features of the i-Map portal;
- Ensuring quality-check for content production in line with approved templates and standards; and
- Identifying opportunities, challenges, lessons learned and best practices in relation to the i.Map component of the project.
The i-Map Migration Governance Traineeship is highly competitive with a total of only 32 placements available in this phase of the i-Map Traineeship (2017-2019). Applicants should ensure that they meet the following selection creteria:
- Recent graduates of a Master’s degree / PhD (or currently enrolled) with a focus on migration;
- Nationals from Euro-Mediterranean countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia, EU Member States, Norway, Switzerland and Turkey;
- Experience (academic of professional) at performing research and analysis on migration, preferably on North Africa, the Middle East and/or Europe;
- Good knowledge of global migration trends in the Mediterranean region (or other); knowledge of the European Union migration policy;
- Good drafting and research skills, including the ability to prepare reports, background papers, fact sheets, presentations, etc.;
- Knowledge of data collection, analysis and management and methods is an advantage;
- Strong computer proficiency (especially Microsoft Word and Excel) and knowledge of other programmes or software (data visualisation, database management, data mapping) is an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Promotion of the values of commitment, integrity, partnership, respect and innovation in actions and decisions;
- Good working knowledge of English (spoken and written) is required; French and/or Arabic communication skills are highly desirable.
ICMPD offers a monthly fee of EUR 800 for the i-Map Traineeship. Relocation (return flight ticket) to/from Malta will be arranged and provided for by the project. Please note that accommodation will not be covered by ICMPD.
Info/Material to be provided by ICMPD
- Trainees will be provided with a computer and a workstation (incl. work related materials).
- Training and supervision: how to draft profiles, create visualisations and upload news articles to the news centre, upload material to the i.Map web tool using the appropriate software.
The 1st cycle of the I.Map Migration Governance Traineeship will start on 1 May 2017, and will run for 3 months. Interested candidates are requested to submit their complete application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, providing a 1) curriculum vitae and 2) completing the recruitment document accessible here and below. Only complete applications will be considered.
Open call for application schedule
- 15 March – 14 April 2017: 1st call
- 15 October – 14 November 2017: 2nd call
- 15 May – 14 June 2018: 3rd call
- 15 November – 14 December 2018: 4th call
Should applicants have any inquiries related to the i.Map Migration Governance Traineeship or experience technical difficulties with the recruitment document, please direct your questions to email@example.com. Recruitment starts immediately upon publication of this call for application and placements may be filled before the indicated application deadline. Therefore, we encourage you to submit your application early. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will be held in April. Applicants are expected to be available during this time period for a personal/telephone/Skype interview.